March Journal Quilt - Drew's Sunflower


March Journal Quilt
"Drew's Sunflower"
My March journal quilt was made from batik fabric scraps from a larger quilt that I have been working on and from wool, yarn, silk fibers and beads.

I wanted to make a hot Texas sun to look at since I am taking some medication for the next 6 months and have to completely stay out of the sun. I thought the blue, yellow and orange batiks made the quilt have a summer sky effect. After the sun was felted together, I hand beaded "rays" to extend from the center to the outer edges of the wool rays.

I had this quilt all finished and ready to label. I asked Drew (my son) what he thought of the name "forbidden sun". He told me it was a nice name but why would I call my sunflower a sun. So, some butterflies where added and now the March journal quilt is known as "Drew's Sunflower". I have it hanging in our hallway that we painted orange marmalade.