Go Green - Quilting Arts Magazine Challenge





















I love Quilting Arts Magazine and read each issue over and over and over again! Each year I issue a new challenge to myself. This year it is to focus on “RePurposing” found items and make eco-friendly art. So when I read about the “Go Green!” challenge, I just had to enter.


The base and backing of my square is made from an antique hand embroidered pillowcase. The batting is recycled dryer lint and the stabilizer to support the beading and embellishments is a recycled fabric softener sheet. I typed words that are important to me, printed them out, and stamped them with different shades of green and bronze ink. The embellishments are all goodies from my studio, vintage/antique lace, buttons from my button jar, beads, roving, & ribbon. The large green lace in the upper corner was cut off one of my twin daughters old dresses that I made a few years ago. The other corner is made from a recycled, painted then melted used Tyvek envelope, free motion stitched for texture then a shell button was hand sewn to the top.

My two favorite parts of this piece are the covered buttons that were from my nana’s sewing basket and the green vintage hat netting. I positioned the pieces askew before quilting so that the layers would be visible. I liked the color and texture of the dryer lint, I think it “frames” the quilted square.